Our Third Eye Chakra lies centered behind our eyebrows. Here is our imagination, intuition, wisdom, and intuition. Now that we are in our sixth chakra, we’ve entered into the more divine/spiritual side of our chakra system. There are tons of people out there who do not believe in a “Third Eye,” and yet probably just as many who do believe. Whether you want to call it the “Third Eye” or not, imagination and wisdom are ideas that most believe. Our Third Eye is the center for wisdom and imagination. It’s the things we individually “come up” with. Wisdom is that next step after learning. It is adaption and being able to apply what it is we’ve learned. When blocked, our Third Eye can cause lack of imagination, problems remembering our dreams, poor decision making, or even headaches. When overloaded we can also suffer from headaches, as well as trouble distinguishing dreams from reality, psychosis, and just having too much going on in your mind to function.
For awakening and aligning our Third Eye Chakra, I’ve turned to The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Chakras by Betsy Rippentrop and Eve Adamson:
AWAKENING THE CHAKRA
- Sit on the floor, legs crossed, seat firmly planted on the floor. Feel your pelvic bones and imagine roots anchoring those bones to the earth.
- Take several long, slow, deep breaths as you visualize your sixth chakra spinning slowly and glowing purple, open and healthy in your mind.
- Imagine your chakra radiating an purple circle of light that radiating in your head.
- Take a deep breath in and in a low resonating tone, say the word: Aum.
- Imagine the planet’s energy that ignites your sixth chakra, so that it glows gently as it spins.
- Imagine the warm, purple light flowing through your body in cool waves.
ALIGNING THE CHAKRA
- Stand in Mountain pose with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Imagine the chakra, in your mind, spinning and growing warm. Feel your head warming.
- Picture a beam of purple light glowing up to your crown, filling your upper body with light and healing energy. Then, picture the light going from your third eye to your Root chakra, filling your lower body with the same light and healing energy.
- Lift your arms up and imagine the light glowing through you to the sky and the center of the earth.
HEALING THE BLOCKED CHAKRA
To heal a blocked chakra meditation is yet again the go-to. You can also try drawing or painting, attempt to keep track of your dreams in a journal, practice visualization, and get more purple in your life or environment.
HEALING THE OVERLOADED CHAKRA
To heal an overloaded chakra you need to work on being present. Take some time to focus on details of things in your vicinity. Less time spent daydreaming will do you a lot of good.